Thursday, July 1, 2010

Octreotide Scan

So I had the Octreotide scan done Monday and Tuesday. It was LONG (3hrs altogether), but I was able to listen to my Ipod, which made it bearable. In any event, I picked up the scans already and found two key things:

1. The tumor shows up on the scans. This means (I believe, based on research) that it is a paraganglioma, which is what the doctors in Vermont thought originally. Paragangliomas are typically very reactive to the dye in octreotide scans.

and

2. The tumor is the ONLY thing that shows up in the scan. This type of scan shows any other tumors of this variety, as well as cancerous tumors. So, I am cancer free! The tumor also isn't cancerous, or its metastases would show up in the scan as well.

I have an appointment on the 12th to meet with Dr. Lindstrom and Dr. Murali, the two surgeons, to discuss the results and the details of surgery, and hopefully set a date for the surgery.

No comments: